Nathan Sigworth: Advice on building sustainable business in India
NATHAN SIGWORTH & PHARMASECURE
Nathan Sigworth started his own business in India in 2007. Now, it is a successful pharmaceutical company, with over 3 billion products protected, across 40+ geographies worldwide. He wanted to share the lessons he learnt during his long-years of experience, for anyone wishing to start a business in India.
NATHAN SIGWORTH’S 6 out of 9 TIPS
1. Hire for aptitude, not credentials
- Do not base your decisions on the CV. Base them on the interview, focusing on intelligence and ability to adapt. Have someone from India help with reference checks, as well as with the interview itself. It will help with the language barrier and reading between the lines.
2. Plug into the community
- Find social events, communities, religious groups that you can connect with to make Indian friends. It will be an important source for all sort of business opportunities.
3. Be approachable
- To break down the strong hierarchy that is normal for an Indian business, you must go out of your way to be approachable with your team, so that they can be open with you.
4. Diversity matters
- India is an extremely diverse country, with many languages and cultures. So, make sure that your team is able to communicate with all these different communities effectively.
5. Outsource your administrative tasks
- There is a lot of paper work in India. So, make sure you hire specialised people for the job, so that you can focus on developing and running the business.
6. Have fun!
- You’ll have such an amazing experience doing business in India – make the most of it!
To read all 9 tips click here.